Sunday, August 31, 2008

It's My...Birthday??

Today after Church we went out to lunch with our dear friends, Chris and Shannon, and their girls, Taylor and Rachel. Meggie's friends, Jacqueline and Morgan, joined us as well. Meggie got the great idea to let our server know it was Carson's birthday (well, in four days, but they didn't need the exact details).

Just as we were finishing our lunch, a line of servers approached our table clapping. We joined in and laughed along as they sang their silly version of "Happy Birthday." Carson looked...hmmm, how do I describe it?...totally and utterly confused. None of us had cameras (shame on me!), but I will tell you it was hysterical to see his reaction. Meggie and Jacqueline laughed so hard they were crying. I had him recreate the face at home so I could get a pic...this is a pretty close rendition of his reaction:
He kept turning his head from side to side (the singers were all lined up behind him) with this confused face. Then they handed him a huge ice cream sundae with a pile of whipped cream on top. He then shifted his confused gaze to the ice cream...looking it up and down, side to side, as if he wasn't sure quite what it was or what we wanted him to do with it. It was so stinkin' funny!!

The server confided in Chris that they were afraid they had come to the wrong table since Carson seemed so confused by the attention. (After explaining to them that Carson has never celebrated a birthday before, it made more sense...)

Thus begins Carson's celebratory birthday week! Hope he finally "gets it" by the time his party comes on Sunday!!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

That was probably one of the funniest things I have ever seen! Carson looked at the ice cream like it was a foreign object. The funniest part to the girls that you didn't mention was when you asked if he wanted to eat it and he pushed it away and said "maybe tomorrow"! So funny :)

Deb said...

Too cute! Carson and Lotus share the same birthday month, her is the 16th. We are having her party this Saturday. Tell Carson that his girl said Happy Birthday!

Teresa =) said...

Shannon --

I forgot about the "maybe tomorrow" part of the story! That WAS hysterical!!

What a little nut that Carson is!!

Teresa =)

Carrie said...

I hope he has a wonderful birthday!

Kristin said...

Happy Birthday Carson!! We hope you have a wonderful birthday with your friends and family!