Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Visit to Preschool...

In an attempt to prepare Carson's preschool teacher, Miss Tracy, for his start this Friday, I set up an appointment today to meet with her and let Carson mingle with his classmates for a bit. Trying to make today special for Carson, I took him to breakfast at McDonald's (his favorite!). As we were heading out the door, he kept repeating, "No sa-cool, no sa-cool!" (aka no school). He knows that's where Meggie goes all day, and I guess he prefers to be at home. Too bad, Little Man, 'cause you're going! He wouldn't let me take his picture, so I had to sneak one as he was heading to the garage...
...and he yelled at me angrily when he saw I had the camera out! What a bad attitude!

We enjoyed McDonald's (he tried jelly for the first time, on a biscuit, and LOVED it!) and arrived at the school at 10:30AM. The kids were having free play time...Carson jumped right in! He went to their "housekeeping" area (where they keep dress-ups, etc.) and commandeered the shopping cart immediately. The kids were quite curious and kept asking Miss Tracy what his name was. Within minutes of knowing his name, I could hear, "Carson, look at this..." and "Carson, do you want to...?" Wow! Talk about acceptance without question!

After talking with Miss Tracy for 20 minutes or so, the kids were supposed to clean up in preparation for lunch. Carson jumped right in with "pee-nup" (aka clean-up) and the kids were showing him where things went...he just figures if it's off the floor, it's put away...as they are QUITE particular with their toy organization in his classroom. He'll catch on...I hope!

Then the class headed to the carpet for story time while lunch was put out (the book today was "Mooseltoe"). Carson decided he had had enough of "sa-cool." I convinced him to stay for story by sitting on the carpet with him. As he got interested in the book Miss Tracy was sharing with the kids, I slid myself backward and got up, walking quietly to the other side of the room. Carson very quickly noticed my absence and turned himself around to face me. I mouthed for him to stay seated...he was NOT happy. He stayed on the carpet, but refused to look at Miss Tracy, keeping his back to her. (Rude, I know, but what could I do?) When she would comment on the book (like, "Wow!" or "Look at that!"), he would peek over his shoulder at her...but then spin back around very quickly.

After story, the kids all became "acorns" (curled up in balls on the floor with their heads down) and Miss Tracy "cracked" their acorns open when it was their turn to wash up for lunch -- she tapped on the quietest and most still kids first. Carson just sat there with his mouth hanging open. He was amazed as he watched Miss Tracy sing her song: "I'm a nut (tap-tap), I'm a nut (tap-tap), I'm an acorn nut..." Needless to say, he was the last "nut" to be "cracked." Since we had just eaten breakfast, I decided we should leave at that point.

Before leaving, I wanted to get a picture of Carson with Miss Tracy. He was being such a crab, he wouldn't cooperate. Miss Tracy said we could try again Friday morning when I drop him off...but I'm gonna post the horrible pic of him from today 'cause it's all I could get...
Isn't he just lovely? What is THAT about? As soon as he got off her lap, he laughed and giggled. But he insisted, "No mo!" (aka no more) so I couldn't get another one. I'll try on Friday morning, I guess.

We headed to Miss Linda's office (the director of the preschool) to tie up some loose ends with paperwork, etc., and Carson decided at that precise time to become a holy terror! He started digging through piles of paper on her desk, ran out into the hall yelling, and eventually (when I sat him on a chair for a quick time out) decided to scream at me and hit me! I was MORTIFIED!! I would put him in the chair, he would scoot out of it, scream, hit me, I would put him in the chair, he would scoot out of it....repeat, repeat, repeat. He finally gave up and stayed in the chair, turning his face away from me to pout. How embarrassing!! Miss Linda didn't seem fazed by it...I wanted to shrink under her desk. How do kids know the precise moment to act up like that?? Ugggghhh!

To close this post, I have a few pics of Meggie and Carson's "wrestlemania" from last night...
...can you feel the love?? 'Bye for now!

4 comments:

The Shoemakers said...

Hey, T.! First off, Happy Birthday! Yes, you definitely deserved to have your cake, eat it too, and not share :)

Second, good for you for sticking to your discipline "guns." I think you were doing the right thing and you should get a huge pat on the back for it. Keep up the great work, Mom!

Sara

art said...

Carson is a hoot:-) I sure hope Friday goes smoothly!

Adreanna

The Veggie Vet Tec said...

Boy, I sure can relate! Max is into hitting right now, and it is hard emotionally! You just have to do what you did, and show him who is boss. Good luck on Friday! Hope to get our boys back together soon.

Chelsie and Max

Redmom2005 said...

Sounds like Carson is quite the "typical" BOY!! Glad you're sticking to your guns....I think they secretly HOPE that we'll give in if they just keep it up and embarass us enough! LOL!!

Erin