Keeping Busy...
Saturday, our errand (and the reason I couldn't blog) was that we had to take Meggie to the mall to get a dress for the Freshman Semi-Formal coming up this Friday.
Before I get to that, Friday evening we went to my brother's house for a little meet-and-greet so my siblings and nieces and nephews could meet Carson. Carson had SO MUCH FUN!! My brother's house is quite kid friendly so there was no boredom to be had. Take a peek...
Checking out the fuseball table with cousin Nathan
There was also one HYSTERICAL photo of Carson in his underwear holding a rubber chicken...don't ask. I figured I'd best spare my son's dignity and save that one for our private photo stash!
Playing with his cars in the stroller
Today, we had a playdate with Max and his mom, Chelsie. We were supposed to get together with them on Friday, but Meggie ended up getting sick at school and we had to go pick her up...long story that ended at the hospital, but she's fine. We rescheduled for today with Chelsie and Max and had lunch at Chick-Fil-A. Afterwards, they tried out the indoor playground. A few pics...
Carson's cheesing...but Max isn't so sure!
Poor Chelsie had to climb in after him!
Our boys checking out the interesting toys on the walls
Max contemplating climbing UP the slide...
and Carson is ready to join him
Trying to get them to pose...
no way would Max stay still for that!
Crawling under the playground...
and cracking themselves up!
Carson's keeping his eye on us
and Carson is ready to join him
no way would Max stay still for that!
and cracking themselves up!
We had a good time...and Carson took a GREAT nap afterwards! It's fun to get together with Chelsie...we met through the International Adoption Yahoo groups and discovered we only live about 20 minutes away from each other! Max is also from the Anhui Province in China, just like Carson...we have a LOT in common! Looking forward to more playdates in our future...
After Carson's OT evaluation a couple of weeks ago, I have really been pushing him to be more independent. He has improved by literal leaps and bounds...he is now dressing himself completely (except for the shirt, we'll need Miss Mary to teach him that one) and going to the bathroom completely by himself! He wasn't supposed to start his OT schedule until next week, but Miss Mary had a cancellation tomorrow so we're grabbing that appointment. Can't wait to impress her with his progress!
I have been taking Carson to the childcare center at the YMCA so I can swim my laps and he is really doing quite well! So well, in fact, that I called his preschool today and discussed with Linda, the director, about starting him there one day a week. We are going next Wednesday so he can meet his teacher, Miss Tracy, then he'll start going on Fridays only until I go back to work at the end of January. I'm excited to see how much quicker he'll learn English being in a school environment...plus the social aspect will be more fun for him than sitting around the house with boring old Mama! I'll keep you updated on that!
Speaking of learning English, we are constantly amazed by Carson! In fact, at my brother's house on Friday, my sister wanted to know why Carson doesn't speak Chinese. As I listened to him jabber on...which he does constantly, so I must admit I often tune him out...I realized that so much of it is recognizable English, it is easy to miss the very few Chinese words in the mix. Wow...we've only had him for a month!! He's also not just repeating us, he's initiating conversation. Yesterday, I stubbed my toe on a chair and yelped in pain. He got a very concerned look on his face and said, "Mama, are you OK?" I nearly choked...it was completely clear and absolutely appropriate for the situation! He also responds "Gangk you" at the proper times...and "Oooo wel-cum" (aka "You're welcome") when he is thanked. Either this boy is brilliant...or I just talk WAY too much and he can't help but learn something. (I'm voting for both explanations...)
Another funny thing...before we left for China, I was panicking because I had no childcare arrangements set up for Carson. The week before we traveled to China, his preschool e-mailed me that they had an opening (which helped me relax a bit in China, knowing that was handled)...then last week another preschool that had placed us on a waiting list called and said THEY had an opening! Wow...feast or famine, huh?
After Carson's OT evaluation a couple of weeks ago, I have really been pushing him to be more independent. He has improved by literal leaps and bounds...he is now dressing himself completely (except for the shirt, we'll need Miss Mary to teach him that one) and going to the bathroom completely by himself! He wasn't supposed to start his OT schedule until next week, but Miss Mary had a cancellation tomorrow so we're grabbing that appointment. Can't wait to impress her with his progress!
I have been taking Carson to the childcare center at the YMCA so I can swim my laps and he is really doing quite well! So well, in fact, that I called his preschool today and discussed with Linda, the director, about starting him there one day a week. We are going next Wednesday so he can meet his teacher, Miss Tracy, then he'll start going on Fridays only until I go back to work at the end of January. I'm excited to see how much quicker he'll learn English being in a school environment...plus the social aspect will be more fun for him than sitting around the house with boring old Mama! I'll keep you updated on that!
Speaking of learning English, we are constantly amazed by Carson! In fact, at my brother's house on Friday, my sister wanted to know why Carson doesn't speak Chinese. As I listened to him jabber on...which he does constantly, so I must admit I often tune him out...I realized that so much of it is recognizable English, it is easy to miss the very few Chinese words in the mix. Wow...we've only had him for a month!! He's also not just repeating us, he's initiating conversation. Yesterday, I stubbed my toe on a chair and yelped in pain. He got a very concerned look on his face and said, "Mama, are you OK?" I nearly choked...it was completely clear and absolutely appropriate for the situation! He also responds "Gangk you" at the proper times...and "Oooo wel-cum" (aka "You're welcome") when he is thanked. Either this boy is brilliant...or I just talk WAY too much and he can't help but learn something. (I'm voting for both explanations...)
Another funny thing...before we left for China, I was panicking because I had no childcare arrangements set up for Carson. The week before we traveled to China, his preschool e-mailed me that they had an opening (which helped me relax a bit in China, knowing that was handled)...then last week another preschool that had placed us on a waiting list called and said THEY had an opening! Wow...feast or famine, huh?
A few pics of my silly kids...
Crossing their eyes...goofballs!
No, Carson's not frothing at the mouth...
he had just eaten a powdered donut!


1 comment:
Send me those pics by email, I want to post them on my blog. They are so cute! Hope next time they can get to know each other a little more, and we can talk with out having to break up kid fights!!
Chelsie and Max
Post a Comment