Dorothy Said It Best!!!
There really IS no place like home!! We're here, we're safe...and we actually got a bit of sleep last night!
First, the journey home...
We were up very early on travel day...a little excited to get going, you might say. Hey kids, ready to go home??
Meggie's ready...
Checking out of the Victory Hotel in Guangzhou proved quite challenging...I sent Kevin and the kids ahead to board the bus and the guides left me on my own. The hotel staff spoke very little English and the problems they gave me led me to believe I was going to have a whopping balance on check-out...nope, only about $60!!! All THAT for $60!!! I then had to RUN to the White Swan Hotel (blocks away) and barely made the bus to the airport!!
We got through the Guangzhou airport with Jason's help, gave him the traditional goodbye gift, and we were on our own! As we left Jason at the security check, I got the identical feeling that occurred as we left the hospital with Meggie after she was born..."Oh, my goodness, this is FOR REAL! They are letting me take this kid HOME with me!?!" Carson decided at the precise moment we settled down at the gate to wait for our flight to FLIP OUT!! He screamed, he cried, people stared...well, people always stared, but this was worse 'cause I feared it was a precursor to his behavior to come on the long travel day.
The flight to Beijing (about 3 hours) was NOT Carson's finest performance to-date! To put it bluntly, he was a holy TERROR! He has quite the Jekyl-and-Hyde personality when he wants to and, boy, did he turn it on during that flight! The one thing that made him happy was the stethoscope-style headset provided...maybe he'll follow Mommy's footsteps into a medical career...
The flight from Beijing to the States took 13 hours. Carson was an absolute...DREAM COME TRUE!! True, he only slept for two of those hours...which means that Mommy also only slept for about two of those hours...but he was very content for the other 11 hours! A few pics...
Carson reading ALL the safety materials in the seat-back pocket
adjusting the brightness on his personal seat-back TV set!
(Hey, whatever makes you happy, dude!!)
He hated the headset, so this only worked for about 20 minutes!
The three women seated behind us were SO sweet when we landed, telling him what a good boy he was through the flight. We told them he was officially a U.S. citizen now that we were on American soil. They were so excited, clapping for him and congratulating us. His reaction?
I think "underwhelmed" and "uncooperative" sum it up best!
He wouldn't even LOOK at the camera!
He wouldn't even LOOK at the camera!
Meggie leaving messages for her friends with my cell phone...
she was quite bummed because NO ONE answered their phones when she called!!
she was quite bummed because NO ONE answered their phones when she called!!
Then back on yet another airplane! Jekyl-Hyde was at it yet again! He started our time on this plane singing a song in Chinese...very cute...but quickly escalated (or should I say descended) into screaming fits! Uggghhhh!! This was a VERY small airplane full of businessmen...they were SO happy for us to be on the flight, I'm sure! We got stuck on the runway for a full hour waiting for takeoff...oh, great! Eventually, we did get some peace on this flight...
...and landed in our home airport about 45 minutes later than expected. We were SO EXCITED to be done with airplanes...and even more excited to see our Welcome Wagon...

Carson was a LITTLE overwhelmed with all the attention and would barely look at the kids. Aunt Beth gave him a bag of M&Ms...excellent choice, Aunt Beth, he loved them! Unfortunately, this is all the attention Carson would give Grandma...


Carson was a LITTLE overwhelmed with all the attention and would barely look at the kids. Aunt Beth gave him a bag of M&Ms...excellent choice, Aunt Beth, he loved them! Unfortunately, this is all the attention Carson would give Grandma...Sorry, guys, he was a little worn out. I promise he will be more fun the next time you see him. Special thanks to Grandma and Grandpa B., Aunt Beth, Cousins Hannah, Sarah, and Alex, and our friends Sarah and Chris for coming to the airport to greet us...you were all such a sight for sore eyes!!!
We got home around midnight...special thanks to Sarah for picking us up in our minivan!!...and were greeted with a HUGE handmade Welcome Home sign from Meggie's friends, donuts and some groceries from Grandma and Grandpa B., and homemade cookies from our wonderful neighbors!! Meggie's friends had filled the family room with balloons...Carson was in HEAVEN!!
As we walked through the house heading upstairs, it was funny to watch the things Carson noticed. He got very excited in the foyer to see this...
...pictures of all of us on the table! He was AMAZED to see photos of Mama, Baba, Jie Jie AND Carson already there waiting for him!!
He was quite intrigued by the stairs going UP...
...and screamed in fear at the prospect of coming back DOWN, so Meggie helped him. (We'll work on it, Little Man!)
He liked his bedroom and bookcase full of books...
We got home around midnight...special thanks to Sarah for picking us up in our minivan!!...and were greeted with a HUGE handmade Welcome Home sign from Meggie's friends, donuts and some groceries from Grandma and Grandpa B., and homemade cookies from our wonderful neighbors!! Meggie's friends had filled the family room with balloons...Carson was in HEAVEN!!
He was quite intrigued by the stairs going UP...
...but was NOT pleased to be placed into the bed for night-night! He fussed and fought for a good half hour before finally falling asleep...and by 4AM he was in our bed. That's OK...there will surely be adjustments and, all in all, he's doing a great job!!
Kevin, Meggie and I took very L-O-N-G showers and had trouble winding down...Meggie and I were in bed by 1AM and Kevin was up 'til 3!! Carson was finally awake for good at 7AM, but that's OK...yesterday was a weird, action-packed day and we'll get on a schedule.
At the airport, Aunt Beth had made up gift bags for all of us...sort of welcome home comfort items...and she gave Carson the cutest little panda bear. It is battery-operated and cries like a baby, even came with a bottle of milk. Carson LOVES IT...
It was SO nice to have breakfast in our own kitchen today. After eating, I decided I had better blog...I know you all are waiting for an update...and Carson has been so funny. He has literally touched every single toy in his toy corner. He stands over there and looks, then looks at me as if to ask, "Are these REALLY for me??" He has been, for the most part, quite content playing alone and even let me enjoy a nice long telephone conversation with Aunt Debbie while Daddy took his shower!
Many people have asked if I'll continue to blog...yes, but not to the extent I have the past two weeks. It has been fun keeping everyone updated...actually my contacts through e-mail and the blog helped keep me sane in China...but the truth is, it's time to let Carson adjust and live his life. Yes, I'll still take tons of pictures, but look for weekly or twice weekly updates from here out. (I gotta get back in MY routine, and two hours of blogging every day is not gonna fit!)
I can NEVER thank you all enough...for your interest, your encouragement, and your prayers!! Please know we are eternally grateful for the overwhelming flood of support we have received throughout this adoption journey. No, the journey is not over...we are only now beginning our journey as a family of four and that promises to be equally amazing! Stay tuned...
Kevin, Meggie and I took very L-O-N-G showers and had trouble winding down...Meggie and I were in bed by 1AM and Kevin was up 'til 3!! Carson was finally awake for good at 7AM, but that's OK...yesterday was a weird, action-packed day and we'll get on a schedule.
At the airport, Aunt Beth had made up gift bags for all of us...sort of welcome home comfort items...and she gave Carson the cutest little panda bear. It is battery-operated and cries like a baby, even came with a bottle of milk. Carson LOVES IT...
It was SO nice to have breakfast in our own kitchen today. After eating, I decided I had better blog...I know you all are waiting for an update...and Carson has been so funny. He has literally touched every single toy in his toy corner. He stands over there and looks, then looks at me as if to ask, "Are these REALLY for me??" He has been, for the most part, quite content playing alone and even let me enjoy a nice long telephone conversation with Aunt Debbie while Daddy took his shower!
Many people have asked if I'll continue to blog...yes, but not to the extent I have the past two weeks. It has been fun keeping everyone updated...actually my contacts through e-mail and the blog helped keep me sane in China...but the truth is, it's time to let Carson adjust and live his life. Yes, I'll still take tons of pictures, but look for weekly or twice weekly updates from here out. (I gotta get back in MY routine, and two hours of blogging every day is not gonna fit!)
I can NEVER thank you all enough...for your interest, your encouragement, and your prayers!! Please know we are eternally grateful for the overwhelming flood of support we have received throughout this adoption journey. No, the journey is not over...we are only now beginning our journey as a family of four and that promises to be equally amazing! Stay tuned...






11 comments:
A big WELCOME HOME to you all!! Thanks for such a GREAT blog to follow! Great pictures, great stories...GOOD TIMES!! So happy that you have finally been united with your little man!! Hooray!!
Erin
Welcome to your new lives! I wish you a smooth transition and getting back to feeling normal after jetlag. It's so cool to hear how much Carson likes his stuff. I know it'll probably be a while yet, I'm looking forward to reading about Carson's physical therapy and all the wonderful progress you know he's going to make.
Thank you so much for allowing us to be a part of your amazing trip. I'm so happy for you guys and wish you all the best!
Sara
Teresa,
Welcome Home!!! It was such fun to follow your journey to Hefei and back. It brought back lots of memories for us! I hope, and suspect he will, Carson continues to adjust easily to life in the States. It's such fun to watch their personality finally emerge - we still see more of Catherine's all the time.
Welcome home!
A BIG WELCOME HOME!!! I know the rush to a long shower feeling. When traveling back from India and Sri Lanka I could not wait to take a shower when I got back home.
Thank you for sharing all your stories, joys and fears. We know that you are incredible parents and Meggie is a wonderful BIG SIS!!! We wish you the best always. Carson is so handsome and he continue to bring you love and laughter throughout the years.
May God bless all of you.
Truly,
Abby and Alexis
You know I'll stay tuned! Thankful that you all made it home, safe and sound! I pray that Carson's adjustment to his life with you will go smoothly. Blessings to your family from mine!
Welcome home! What an awesoem journey for your family!
My son has those same SpongeBob pj's and loves them! ha ha ha
Enjoy!
WELCOME HOME!!!!!!! Email me when you catch up with sleep so we can get our boys together!!
Chelsie and Max
Welcome Home!
Teresa, I'm so glad Carson is doing so well. You guys made it look so easy. I followed along daily, thanks for posting and sharing this adventure with us.
Take Care and Best Wishes to your new family of four.
Peg
Welcome home! Thanks so much for your travel Long it was great reading and we are awaiting LOA not very happy waiting but still waiting-check us out when you have time(hahaha) http://kreuersjourney.blogspot.com/
-Carrie
Welcome home Berter Family! I loved following your journey to bring Carson home and had tears of joy reading and seeing the pics of him in his new home with his forever family.
Nancy DeMetris
Post a Comment