Are We Done YET??
I have to admit it...we've all lost our good humor about this trip. Two weeks of sleeping on rock-hard beds and eating very little comfort food is more than this family can handle...we give up!! While we ARE trying to get along and not kill each other, this is basically how Kevin and I are dealing with each other these days...
OK, just kidding (sort of), but Meggie caught this shot at dinner when Kevin was picking on me. (He really SHOULD be nice, don't you think??!!)
This morning, our guide Jason went to the U.S. Consulate on behalf of all the kids in our group to apply for their travel visas. It was our job to stay in the hotel room, by the phone, in case there were any problems with the paperwork. Since Carson is really starting to bug out being stuck in the room, Kevin decided to take him to the playground while Meggie and I hung out waiting for the "all clear" phone call. I put in "Curious George" while Carson was getting dressed...goodness, that boy goes CATATONIC in front of cartoons. Check him out...
"Carson, it's time to get your clothes on..."

"OK, you're finally dressed. Don't you want to go to the playground?!"

After prying him away from the movie, Kevin was able to snag a few pics at the playground...



The paperwork was fine, no issues. When the boys returned from the playground, we ordered Papa John's pizza for lunch. Carson typically requires us to cut his food up into bite-sized pieces...if we don't, he'll really fuss...but today I caught him doing this all on his own...

...eating a whole slice of pizza! Way to go, Little Man!
I have really been suffering with a head cold, so Kevin bought me some cold medicine at the local grocery. I took that stuff after lunch and felt SO MUCH BETTER...I fell asleep and slept right through the scheduled afternoon outing of shopping at the pearl market! Darn it!!!!! Oh, well...not like we have a bunch of money to spend, probably would have just been depressing to see all the stuff I wanted and not be able to buy it!
We tried a different restaurant for dinner tonight, a place called the Rose Garden. It was described as an "American style" restaurant, but we really struggled with what to eat. The food was edible but not great, but I have to say I enjoyed the atmosphere...we were outside sitting right on the Pearl River. Some sights from the evening's meal...
"No, Meggie, if you swim you will NOT get home quicker!!"


At home, we always listen to the radio with dinner and Meggie typically gives us what we call our "dinner theater"...she'll sing along and act out her favorite songs. She started doing this at dinner to the Titanic theme song that was playing over the outdoor speakers and Carson CRACKED up. Take a look.
Meggie singing her heart out for us...

...and Carson THOROUGHLY enjoying the show!

It is so funny to watch Carson...his elbows bend fine but he doesn't seem to know it. He normally eats by propping his arms on whatever is nearby...his knees, the edge of the table, an armrest. Kevin has been working with him (sort of unofficial physical therapy) to show him that his arms DO move to his face. Tonight at dinner, for the first time, he bent his right arm and put a piece of bread in his mouth. Yes, it was a little awkward...and, NO, I didn't catch it on film...but that is HUGE for him!! HUGE!! Yeah, Carson!!
After dinner, we headed over to the Deli Shop for ice cream. There are so many firsts in Carson's life we missed...first smile, first words, first steps...but we sure are enjoying the firsts we've seen this past week. Tonight...first ice cream cone!

It took him a few tries to get used to the taste, but then he was hooked! Oh, yeah, you'll fit in JUST FINE with this family...we eat ice cream year-round, even when there's snow on the ground!!
Since we didn't really go anywhere today, this felt very much like our boring days back in Hefei. Meggie and Carson spent a good deal of the day goofing off with the camera. Some of my favorite shots...
Meggie trying to shake the silly out of Carson first thing this morning...

...and Carson attacking back later in the afternoon!

I'm not so sure Carson's in the mood for a smooch right now, Meggie!!

Oh, wait, looks like he IS in the mood for a smooch!

Kevin and Carson went shopping this morning and bought both kids these odd little toys...it's a squishy ball on a long, springy, rubber string. When the ball makes contact...with the ground or your little brother's head, for example...it lights up. Of course, Carson immediately decided these were weapons in a brother-on-sister war...


...and was soundly beaten by his big sister! But he did give it a valiant effort, I must admit!
Another attack of the Giggle Monster!

Tomorrow our group is going to the zoo. Uggghhh!! Meggie and I are going to skip that and get some of our homework done (we've both been a little slacking, but we're working on it!) and the boys are going to go to the zoo without us. I overheard Kevin telling Carson about it during bath time tonight and extolling the virtues of "Guys' Day Out"...not sure Carson understood, but he does this Arsenio Hall "Woo-Woo-Woo!" complete with his attempt at pumping his fist whenever Kevin says it. Ahhh, male bonding...you just can't beat it!
In the afternoon, our group will go to the consulate and take the oath. That is the FINAL STEP to finish this adoption process here in China and allow us to leave the country and take Carson with us! Woo-hooooooooooooo!! There are no cameras allowed at the consulate, but I'm sure I'll fill up the blog with other silliness tomorrow for your enjoyment. (What WILL you people do with your spare time when we get back from China??!!!)
I'll close us out with my favorite shot of the day...

...and off to bed! One more full day in Guangzhou and we are COMING HOME!!!!!!!!
4 comments:
We got those same squishy light-up toys when we were in China adopting a 3.5 year old last year. Looks like you guys are ready to come home!
Lori W
Don't blame ya for getting totally stir crazy! I can't wait for your blog about the consulate, he, he! You're doing great - it won't be long now ...
Sara
Are you soooo excited or what?! It's almost time to bring that boy home!! I love your closing picture of Meggie and Carson!! How adorable :)
Erin
Only one more day!! I'm sure you're tired and ready to get on with life...as usual, great pics!
Post a Comment