Some Final Thoughts Before Going to Bed...
The pictures here were taken just before we left the Beijing Holiday Inn...forgot to put them in the last post, plus I figure my long, droning posts are more bearable with some photos thrown in for good measure!
We've learned a few things today here in Hefei...
...the converter plugs intended for "China" don't fit any of the plugs. Thank goodness we also brought the ones that say "Asia," 'cause they work just fine! (And big thanks to Gina and Olivia for lending us theirs!!)
...we have to pay our orphanage fee tomorrow in yuan, not American dollars. That means our first stop tomorrow, before heading to the registration office, will be the Bank of China to collect what will turn out to be a bag of cash. I felt conspicuous enough with all the cash in a money belt...how does one hide a brown bag brimming with bills??
...some things just aren't meant to be plugged in in China. I tried to charge the camera batteries. After about 30 seconds being plugged in, there was a loud POP and a bunch of smoke...yeah, ruined the battery charger! Good thing we brought TONS of batteries...we'll be fine. Thankfully, the computer is doing great being plugged in!
...for some odd reason, besides the water not being consumable, we also can't flush toilet paper...it has to be thrown in the garbage can. (I know, YUCK!!) Thanks to awesome advice from Jim and Lynn, who were here a couple of weeks ago, we take the long trek down to the lobby if we need to...ahem...spend any "quality time" in the bathroom. The lobby bathrooms are cleaned much more frequently, so our "deposits" won't hang around that long and be so offensive. (Was that put gently enough??)
...this hotel is SUPER CLEAN! As we were checking in this afternoon, we kept accidentally getting in the way of a maid who was dusting the base of one of the huge pillars in the lobby. When I took my long trek to the lobby a little bit ago, the elevator opened and there was a maid inside. When the doors closed, she dropped to her knees and continued wiping down the inside of the stainless steel elevator doors. Wow! Maybe we should also try to adopt one of the maids...
...jet lag is tough to overcome. We all took naps (Meggie slept for FIVE HOURS), now it's 11PM here and we're all wide awake!
...if you search long enough, you can find English programming in China. When I woke up from my nap, Kevin discovered we get HBO...we watched "The Producers" with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick. Meggie also found an MTV type channel with music videos and a CNN type news channel. Definitely progress...
...we're getting bored. My posts are too long and we're watching WAY too much TV. Glad we get Carson tomorrow. We'll be taking walks, going to parks, keeping him entertained.
OK, off the computer. I took a Tylenol PM (aka my little wonder pill) about 20 minutes ago and we need to sleep. Watch for posts tomorrow that include Carson's pictures!! (We're hoping to catch him smiling at least once!)
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Mark and I figured that considering the sheer number of people who live in the cities in China, there are plenty of people to employ to do all kinds of tasks and jobs. In the department store we went to in Guangzhou, it seemed there was a sales associate every five feet :)
Sorry about the toilet situation. Fortunately, our hotel toilet worked fine, but some in our travel group were having constant problems.
Good luck getting your body adjusted to China time! Waiting 'til tomorrow ...
Sara
Not once have you mentioned studying your Chinese book! You do state that you are bored and lazy. Get to work on Chinese, you slacker!
Sorry about the bathroom situation in Bejing--knowing you as I do, I'm sure you got a lot of exercise walking to the lobby!
You are truly a dork taking pictures of the food!
I can't wait to read your blog every morning! I LOVE it.
Bummer about the Great Wall.
Just a few more hours!!!!!!
Love ya,
ps. we changed the whole research project...just kidding!
Teresa - Love that pic of you & Meggie! How exciting that tomorrow is the day that you'll finally be united with Carson. Hope you get some ZZZZ's tonight and we'll be following your journey every step of the way!
Luv, Nancy, Tim & Lil' Emperor Tripp
Yay!!! I'm part of your CCAIWCP group.... Can't wait to see you with Carson in your arms!!! I'm so happy for you!
Sara :)
Post a Comment